Mobile menu

Naming of the Fong Sum Wood Library (November 1998)



Naming of the Fong Sum Wood Library (November 1998)
In 1998, Lingnan College (renamed Lingnan University in 1999) received a generous donation of company stocks from Mrs. Fong Sum Wood (Ms. Chang Han Tsiu). In recognition of Mrs. Fong's munificence, the Library was named after the late Mr. Fong Sum Wood and its reading room on the second floor the Chang Han Tsiu Reading Room.
Mr. Fong Sum Wood was a graduate of Lingnan University in Guangzhou. After the war, he taught English at St. Paul's Co-educational College. Mrs. Fong taught at True Light Middle School of Hong Kong in the early 1950s. Then she taught physics at Ying Wa Girls' School from 1955 until her retirement in 1975. During those years, Mr. and Mrs. Fong educated and inspired many students to do their best and fulfil their potential.
Mr. and Mrs. Fong led a simple life. They used their savings to buy stocks of Hong Kong companies that were worth around $20 million at the time of the donation. It was agreed that 70% of the annual dividends from these stocks would be used to support the development of the University and the remaining would be given to the three secondary schools at which Mr. and Mrs. Fong had taught for equipment and as student awards.
The Dedication Ceremony of the Fong Sum Wood Library and Chang Han Tsiu Reading Room was held on 1 November 1998. The Hon Andrew Li Kwok Nang, Chief Justice of the Court of Final Appeal, who was one of Mr. Fong's outstanding students, officiated at the ceremony. Other officiating guests included Mrs. Fong Sum Wood, Dr. Chiu Hin Kwong, Chairman of the Board of Governors and Council, and Prof. Edward Chen, President. About 150 guests and past students of Mr. and Mrs. Fong attended. A dinner party followed the ceremony which also celebrated Mrs. Fong's 88th birthday.